When the Xiaomi Redmi 2 was released last year, it ran out of the box on Android 4.4 Kitkat which was the reigning Android OS version then. Fast forward to 2016 however, the smartphone world is drifting to Android 5.1 Lollipop, 6.0 Marshmallow and even to Android 7.0 Nougat (Xiaomi Redmi 3S now has Android 7.0 Nougat , and thankfully you don’t have to be stuck on Android 4.4 Kitkat on your Xiaomi devices anymore. Today I’m going to show you how to install an XOSP ROM based on Android 6.0 Marshmallow on your Xiaomi Redmi 2 and Redmi 2 Prime. Note however that this isn’t an official update; it’s a Cyanogen Mod 13 ROM Build, but it’s stable nevertheless and should work fine with all Redmi 2/Prime devices if my instructions are followed well.
First, you have to download the necessary files.
Download Marshmallow-based XOSP ROM and GAPPS for Xiaomi Redmi 2/Prime
- Download the ROM here .
- Visit the GAPPS Open Source Site and download any GAPPS compatible with your smartphone.
How to Flash/Install Android 6.0 Marshmallow-based XOSP ROM on your Xiaomi Redmi 2/Prime
Before we continue, the requirements for you to install this ROM update on your Xiaomi Redmi 2/Prime include downloading the above files and, most importantly, you must have TWRP (Team Win Recovery Project) Recovery installed on your smartphone.
- Download the files as stated above (ROM + GAPPS) and save them directly inside your external memory card (SD Card). The files have to be saved in the SDCard/ location and not inside any other file or folder.
- Boot your phone to TWRP recovery by pressing both the volume down and power button at the same time.
- Restore your phone to factory mode by going to Wipe >>Advanced Wipe >> Wipe Cache. When that is done, come back and select Dalvik System Cache, and then Data. For each, swipe the screen to agree to the reset procedure. Your phone will be totally wiped and restored to default settings.
- After the wipe, go back to the TWRP Recovery menu and select Install. You’ll be taken into your File System manager; find the location where you saved the files (ROM & GAPPS) and then choose them one after the other to flash them to your phone. Agree to the process also by swiping on the screen.
- Repeat the process in Step 3 to wipe the Dalvik Cache and Cache again. Then restart the phone.
That’s all! Now you have Android 6.0 Marshmallow-based XOSP ROM installed on your Xiaomi Redmi 2 and 2 Prime.
Have you successfully installed yours? Share your experience with us!